Thursday, January 10, 2013

Food Trip: Firuz Mediterranean Cuisine




To start the year, my friends and I went on our supposed to be year-end Jologs day which involves going to the Perya, watching a jologs movie and eating. So on January 2, we did it. And first thing was the food trip, and I was again the one who suggested the place - it's Firuz, a small restaurant along JP Rizal near 7-11 and the marikina bridge, and I was eager to try it out since my first attempt with my family didn't happen because they weren't open that time. Good thing was I was prepared for this food trip, I got the cellphone number of the restaurant from Roni's blog and I texted the number a week before just to make sure they're open on January 2, and the answer was "yes, happy new year!", wow so courteous of them hihi :) And then when I was about to meet my firends at 7-11, I walked along JP Rizal and saw that Firuz was CLOSED, and I seriously panicked since we were all excited about the food experience, I even thought of just bringing my friends to Mama Chit's if Firuz is really closed, and then I texted the hotline number HAHA, and they did open at 5pm (store hours: 5pm to 12 midnight), and so we waited outside the resto :)) So there. 
We looked at the menu, and almost everything's not familiar except for the shawarma and kebab :)) we even asked the waitress to explain the dishes to us, although it was nice that they gave a short description of the food in the menu. We really didn't know what to order except for the Hummus which I googled when I first read it in Roni's blog HAHA. So we ordered Hummus and Moutabal for our starters. My friend ordered the shawarma with pita meal, another friend ordered the Lebanese yogurt pasta, I ordered the chicken souvlaki, and we ordered the moussaka for sharing, and lastly, the homemade yogurt ice cream which was ordered by another friend. So here's goes the food..

First was the Hummus and Moutabal. Hummus is made from pureed chicken pea and the likes, while Moutabal is pureed eggplant which are like palaman to the pita. I personally liked Hummus more than Moutabal, I like that it's spicy and had a garlic taste. 

Hummus and Moutabal P85
Shawarma pita P110
Then the shawarma with pita was served. It was like any other shawarma around, nothing really special though I only tried it once, so maybe I missed out the special part hehehe! And now, my chicken souvlaki. It was full of vegetables, which was consistent with the picture in the menu HAHA! The sauce (?) was the thing that's different, it was like milk with tahini and spiced up with some green thing haha! It was fairly good for my taste though the onions were overflowing which I didn't eat. It was different for my taste buds and I liked it. 
Chicken souvlaki P140
The Moussaka made all the difference! It was creamy and quite spicy and very good! We all liked it! Except  the fact that it was very oily that made us not wanting more (nakakasawa e!). And the serving was more than enough for us. And the waitress said that it's usually eaten with rice or pita so maybe that's the thing that'll counter the nakakasawang lasa haha!. The lebanese yogurt pasta was..bland. I think if they served it with parmesan cheese, it'll be okay. Maybe because it's just yogurt in a pasta though I think they could have experimented with it and added some spices just so it wouldn't be bland. The blandness made it difficult for my friend (and for the rest of us) to finish it since the serving was large (maybe good for 2 or 3 if not that hungry), but then again, maybe the recipe's just like that haha! so yeah, at least we got to try it :))
Moussaka P160-P180 i think :P
Lebanese yogurt pasta 
 As for the dessert, the waitress got my friend's order wrong, she ordered the flavored ice cream but the waitress heard it wrong so she served the plain one which again was bland since it's only yogurt hehe. But the texture was good for a homemade ice cream, enough smoothness :))

plain homemade yogurt ice cream P90
 What I like about Firuz besides the 'gastronomically challenging' yet good food was the place itself, even though the tables and chairs were simple, the lights (lamps?) were nice, with intricate designs and the colors were very eye-catching. They also had a magic carpet HAHA! and I like the comfort room (the tiles and the plant hihi). Also, the food prices were okay, not that expensive, and with that kind of serving, it's worth more than what you paid for :))




12 comments:

  1. may keema sila?

    ReplyDelete
  2. meron! dapat oorderin namin yun instead na moussaka dahil nakalagay dun sa description "persian must-try" haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. yun yung fave ko orderin dun sa persian resto sa may UP e. Malapit sa swimming pool. Di ko lang sure kung buhay pa yun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. parang wala na ata. never heard ko yun hmp

    ReplyDelete
  5. hindi sya kilala eh. may orgmate lang ako na oldie na nagyaya sa min dun dati.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahh! hahanapin ko nga yun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. katabi ng swimming pool. parang may pasukan dun sa building, pasok ka, nandun sya sa loob. that is kung buhay pa sya.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yaho~ di ko na to ippost. haha! Ililink kita ha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HAHA! gora!

    ang kyot may emoticons din!

    ReplyDelete
  10. di nga gumagalaw eh :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. haha ay oo nga pero diba dapat gumagalaw sya?

    ReplyDelete
  12. oo, pero di talaga gumagalaw sa disqus. palaging ganyan. kaya feeling ko pang photos lang talaga hindi gif

    ReplyDelete